- juWear is proud to launch it's first campaign with Autism Speaks.
- Click here to order your one of a kind "Anatomy of the Spectrum" T-Shirt!
- juWear will donate 50% of the proceeds to Autism Speaks on your behalf.
How To Light It Up Blue
When: April 2 - World Autism Awareness Day and all April long
Why: Each April 2, Autism Speaks celebrates Light It Up Blue along with the international autism community, in commemoration of the United Nations-sanctioned World Autism Awareness Day. Light It Up Blue is a unique global initiative that kicks-off Autism Awareness Month and helps raise awareness about autism. In honor of this historic day, many iconic landmarks, hotels, sporting venues, concert halls, museums, bridges and retail stores are among the hundreds of thousands of homes and communities that take part to Light It Up Blue. To learn more about how you can Light It Up Blue, please visit LightItUpBlue.org.
Did you know...
- Autism now affects 1 in 68 American children and 1 in 42 boys
- Autism prevalence figures are growing
- Autism is the fastest-growing serious developmental disability in the U.S.
- There are more than 3 million Americans today who are affected by autism. While this number has grown enormously (over 78 percent in the last five years), government funding for research has stayed the same. We owe these Americans the opportunity to reach their full potential. American families touched by autism need medical, educational, social, and employment services and supports. We need a comprehensive national strategy to address this urgent public health priority.
- The CDC study uses rigorous methodology, and is getting closer to uncovering the true prevalence of autism in the US.
Autism is a general term used to describe a group of complex developmental brain disorders – autism spectrum disorders – caused by a combination of genes and environmental influences. These disorders are characterized, in varying degrees, by communication difficulties, social and behavioral challenges, as well as repetitive behaviors. An estimated one in 88 children in the U.S. is on the autism spectrum – a 78 percent increase in six years that is only partly explained by improved diagnosis.
About Autism Speaks
Autism Speaks is the world’s leading autism science and advocacy organization. It is dedicated to funding research into the causes, prevention, treatments and a cure for autism; increasing awareness of autism spectrum disorders; and advocating for the needs of individuals with autism and their families. Autism Speaks was founded in February 2005 by Suzanne and Bob Wright, the grandparents of a child with autism. Mr. Wright is the former vice chairman of General Electric and chief executive officer of NBC and NBC Universal. Since its inception, Autism Speaks has committed nearly $200 million to research and developing innovative resources for families. Each year Walk Now for Autism Speaks events are held in more than 100 cities across North America. On the global front, Autism Speaks has established partnerships in more than 40 countries on five continents to foster international research, services and awareness. To learn more about Autism Speaks, please visit AutismSpeaks.org.